Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Backyard Visitors--and Other Things

Guess I am becoming very lazy in my old age. I have really been neglecting my blog.But I've been doing other things that I really enjoy--like genealogy. I love doing genealogy, even when it's not my own. I have been working on my neighbor's lines. It absolutely blows my mind how much genealogical material is on the internet now. I love it!!

Anyway, that's not the reason, I'm writing this post. I have been bemoaning the fact that we haven't gotten any rain on our little piece of Paradise. Everyone else seems to be getting it but not us. I see the dark skies every afternoon and I hear the thunder but do we get any of it? Noooooo. Boo hiss. Remember my beautiful creek? This is what it looked like a couple of months ago.

Well take a look at what it looks like now.
Very depressing. The other day one of the ducks tried to get through the muck and mud to get up to where I feed them. Haven't seen a duck since. Even the turtles don't come around although you can see where they plowed their way through the mud--one time.
It has been so HOT down here, I haven't really enjoyed sitting out on the deck anyway, but it does cool off some in the evening so I go out and read for awhile. The other night, the trees were alive with the sound of music. (No, not the hills, the trees!) Cardinals, Doves, Grackles and Mocking Birds. I thought I only had a pair of Cardinals but I spotted at least 5. I thought I only had Ground Doves but I spotted at least 4 Ring Necked Doves too. Now the Grackles don't exactly sing or coo. In fact they can be downright annoying but I still enjoyed watching them. I had to grab my camera and take some pictures. Here is what I got.
Then last night I looked out the front door and this is what I saw. Unfortunately the colors didn't come out too great but it was still an amazing sight.
Then this morning, I looked out the front door just as the sun was coming up and spotted this gorgeous sky.
So, the water in the creek may be gone and the ducks and turtles don't come to visit anymore, but I do still have the birds and the beautiful Sanibel sunsets and sunrises. Guess I can't complain too much. But I still would like a little rain just for the heck of it.

6 comments:

maria said...

Thanks for the very enjoyable post. It’s always a good day when you decide to share a bit of your life with us.

The Florida Blogger said...

My dad has done genealogy for a living for about 20 years. Neat field.

gpc said...

I'm glad you're finally back in business with your creek!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Just stopping by to say HELLO and see how you are... Happy 4th of July to you and yours....

Love seeing your pictures.... We desperately need rain also.. Will probably have to water the yard tomorrow.

Hugs,
Betsy

Gayle said...

I hope your creek fills up soon. I know how much you enjoy all the animals that visit you.

Rydia Lavenia said...

Nice pictures! I am loving the backyard! Beautiful!