Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Walk on the Beach

We went for a walk on the beach this morning before it got too hot. It was still hot but enjoyable. Not too many people out and around yet. And really, it wasn't all that early either!
The Gulf is like bathwater. Wonderful to wade or swim in. And it would seem that the Pelicans feel the same way.
I enjoy seeing the birds on the beach and always manage to take a few pictures of them.

I thought these two Laughing Gulls were a hoot. They looked like bookends or twins or something.
But the cutest thing of all were the Snowy Plover chicks. Snowy Plovers are endangered and are protected on Sanibel. Whenever a nest is spotted it is roped off and watched over until the chicks hatch and are on their own. There are at least 4 such areas between the 2 and 3 mile mark on the beach. I have never seen a chick in the wild--only at CROW. Today we saw an adult running around kind of flapping it's wings and looking like it was in distress. It dawned on me that it was a mama trying to draw attention away from her chick. This is what they do. Then I saw the chick. It was about 2 inches tall. Can you find it in this picture?

Here is the same picture blown up a bit. When mama decided that we weren't really a threat to her baby, she went back to join it.
Later we saw a Mama and Papa with 3 or 4 chicks. So cute. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of them.

Nice walk on the beach even if it is a bit warm. But it was nice to get out and see oil free waters and wildlife. Let's just hope it stays that way!!!

7 comments:

yui said...

I regularly visit your blog.
Keep on challenging!

The Florida Blogger said...

The summer arrived this week in full force!

Tootie said...

Water looks nice today. :)

Florida Native Mom said...

Very cute bird shots! We had one of these Plower nests on the beach in Daytona last year. It was right in front of one of the busiest public beach parks on our coast, which of course was shut down because of the baby bird for weeks. Nature wins!

Gayle said...

I really enjoy watching birds, too. Probably why I have so many chickens. How awesome to see the babies.

Baz said...

You have such a beautiful place to live, you are very lucky..

The Farmer Files said...

Absolutely mesmerizing. I love pelicans!!!! I am teaching my kids to squeal when we see them swoop right down.