Monday, April 14, 2008

YUM!!


Yesterday was CROW's 28th Annual Taste of the Islands. Approximately 4,000 people entered the gates to partake of fantastic food, marvelous music and of course, adult beverages. (There were also beverages for those who don't partake in the adult variety).


14 of the island restaurants took part. When you entered the area, you bought tickets which were $1 each. Then you use these tickets to purchase food and beverage. Each restaurant had a booth and had one or two of their specialties. To name just a few: Shrimp Burritos, Clam Chowder in a bread bowl, Crabcakes, watermelon, ice cream, and desserts to die for.

I worked in the CROW Gift Shop booth and Mr. Snowbird worked in the beverage tent from 11:00-3:00. I sold stuffed animals. He served up beer--and got to sample as he served. I had to buy my beverages. Hmmmm. Not quite fair here.


The Gift Shop booth was next to the judges area so we had to watch them get to sample each and every one of those delicious goodies. After we got off work we bought some food and sat at a picnic table right behind the judges area. Another couple was there who knew one of the judges. They had been there all day getting the leftovers. Geez, I wish I had known this earlier!! Anyway, they let us sample one of the desserts. It was melted chocolate and peanut butter pressed between what looked like two very thin slices of bread and then was grilled. OH MY!! My mouth waters just thinking about it. We only got a bite then but later when they were cleaning up, they brought two more slices over to us and asked if we wanted them. Are you nuts?? Of course we wanted them. And we gobbled them down.

It was a great day. The sun was out for part of the day but then it became cloudy. Even though rain was predicted, there was no rain. (Weather here is practically impossible to predict.) People seemed to really enjoy themselves. And of course, all of the proceeds went to help our patients.

5 comments:

Tink *~*~* said...

Hey Snowbird - I was there for a little while yesterday. Wish I'd known you were working the gift shop. I would have stopped by there to finally meet you in person. I've got a few photos up on my blog, too - http://mymobileadventures.blogspot.com

It was all delicious, and in support of a wonderful cause.

Snowbird said...

Yeah, I wish we could have met. Were you there with Gary? I thought I saw him off in the distance.

Unknown said...

I'm a friend of Tink's. I live a bit further north in North Port,FL.
I love the t shirt, what a cool idea.

Tink *~*~* said...

Nope, Gary stayed home. However, I did manage to drag Tootie out with me.

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Oooh, I am all over ANYthing with chocolate and peanut butter! Sounds delish!