Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Longest Night and Other Stuff

So, it would seem that my body has finally recovered from whatever had me sidelined. Or at least I am about 98% back to "normal"--whatever that is. I had been sleeping about 18-20 hours a day since last Thursday. Yesterday was the first day that I got up at 8:30 and stayed awake the entire day. I did a LOT of genealogy work on the computer (I'm putting my data online at, watched some TV, played around on Second Life (yeah, I do that too), and read some. So, when I discovered that it was midnight I figured that maybe I should go to bed. So I did. My body was ready for sleep but apparently my mind had gotten it's fill of sleep the past few days and refused to shut down. It got to be 1:00, 2:00 3:00 etc. I got up and had some comfort food (a glass of milk, crackers and peanut butter and grapes--yeah, weird, I know) but that didn't do any good. I took a Tylenol which usually works. Nothing! The last time I remember seeing the clock was 4:00. Then it was 5:30 and nature called. Back to bed and of course my RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) kicked in. Nothing worse than crawly, twitchy legs at 5:30 AM when you have only slept for about an hour and a half. So up for more Tylenol! I did sleep, though somewhat fitfully, until 8:30. I looked out the window and saw that Concrete Guy was here to take out our back porch and part of the sidewalk. Good thing I was up because the huge pneumatic drill was enough to wake the dead! So, anyway, I feel like new again! Except for the fact that I only had about 3-4 hours of sleep. Oh well. I guess the old bod just decided it had better things to do than sleep.
Bob the Builder and friend put in the 4 new windows in the barn yesterday. Whoopie! Also went out and bought the new door for the side of the barn. Didn't install it--just bought it. Can anyone explain why a door costs $150 and the installation costs $250? Mr. Snowbird did say it's because they have to put a new frame in. He is a whole lot more lenient on this whole construction thing than I am. Of course, I'm still looking at a living room where the paint job hasn't even been started yet. Oh, and the bedroom where the kid painted the walls and part of the baseboard but left a strip around the bottom near the floor. I guess he thought the new carpeting would cover it. Bob the Builder did admit that he has a lot of other jobs going right now. Well, excuse me, but I think we were first in line before these other jobs came in!
Ok, I don't usually go nuts over People Magazine pictures or celebrity babies etc. but did anyone see the latest People with the pictures of Brad and Angelina's kids? Not just the twins but all of the kids. What a fantastic, happy, marvelous family these two have assembled. Just to see the pictures of the older kids with the twins and with each other just brought a smile to my face. Way to go Brad and Angie.
Oo, oo, oo, I just looked out the window and Bob the Builder is actually putting the new door in. I wonder how long it will be before we see him again?
I'm sure that unless you live in West (By God) Virginia or were on Interstate 77 in that state yesterday, you didn't hear a word about this. My son and his family have been vacationing in Gatlinburg, Tennessee since last Thursday. They were headed home yesterday as Ann had to work today. He called about 5:00 and said they were stuck in traffic on I77 and would I google it and see what I could find. Sure enough, I found out about these accidents. Two semis had collided and later a semi and car had collided--both close to the same location. From what I could figure out, Dave et al were about 2 miles from where it happened. He said they were moving a bit and hoping to make it to the exit where they could get off. He then called about 9:00 saying they got fairly close to the exit at which point they were turned around and sent back the other way and were now in a traffic jam waiting to get off on the other side. People were running out of gas etc. I asked if they had anything to eat. He said he had beer and the kids had flaming Doritoes. I assume, since they had been camping, they had a wee bit more than that. Ann started a 1200 page novel and the kids were watching DVD's. They seemed to be in a fairly good mood. That was the last I heard from them so for all I know, they are still on I77 in the hills of West (By God) Virginia.
OK, that's enough stuff for now. Just know, that I am sooooooo glad to be well again. There were times when I really doubted it would happen!


Tootie said...

Snowbird, you sure write a good, entertaining story! :-) I hope Mr Builder 'Gits R Done' soon. Glad you are feeling better.

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Thanks for the great update. I wonder if David and family just walked home instead...?

gpc said...

So glad you're better, hope you get to sleep tonight! (but Now the Bob The Builder jingle is stuck in my head - thanks a lot.)

MariBy said...

I'm glad you are feeling much better and hope your sleep adjusts itself soon.

I wish I had your talent at turning a make the ordinary seem extraordinary. Keep on typing! :D

Tink *~*~* said...

Good grief, but you've had a time of it! I know all about that no sleeping thing. Ask Tootie, I've been moaning and complaining about it till even **I** am sick of me! Well, I hope things are on track now, and please stop by my blog today (thursday) because I have a little gifty treat waiting there for you!

Tink *~*~*