Friday, August 01, 2008


I woke up Wednesday morning at my son's house, after our all day flight from San Diego, with a really sore gland on the right side of my throat and it felt like I had something stuck in my throat. Mr. Snowbird scared the you know what out of me by suggesting it might be my carotid artery! When we finally got to our house about noon, I called the doctor then googled carotid artery. That kind of convinced me I wasn't going to have a stroke in the next 10 minutes. My doc wasn't in so I got in to see one of his associates. Of course I had to wait until 5:00. He took a strep test and announced that it was negative so I had Pharyngitis and to go home and gargle with salt water and take some Tylenol. He didn't inform me that this could last 10-14 days and could get worse! (My son in law, the doctor, told me about the 10-14 day thing. And that I probably picked it up on the plane. Sure makes me want to fly again real soon--not!)

So, this morning, I look like a chipmunk and can hardly swallow. Great way to lose weight! I called the doctor again and they called in a prescription for pain--at least I'm guessing that is what it is for. Mr. Snowbird went to pick it up. We were supposed to go up to our friend Bob's house for the weekend and to go to the Detroit Highland Games to see Alex Beaton. Unless I have a miracle turn around from the prescription, that isn't going to happen. Oh well, I guess that means I stay home and post pictures from my trip to San Diego.

Mr. Snowbird just got home with the meds. It is Azithromycin which is used to treat certain bacterial infections, most often those causing middle ear infections, tosillitis, throat infections, laryngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia and sinusitis. I guess I fit in there somewhere although it doesn't mention Pharyngitis. Oh yeah, it is used for treating some sexually transmitted diseases too. Hmmm. Anyway, I sure hope it helps because I am tired of looking like a chipmunk!!


gpc said...

I'm so sorry you're sick. It's a pretty common thing for people to get something yucky from all that recycled airplane air, though, and hopefully you weren't contagious around the babies. Thank goodness for Google and son in laws!

Feel better soon.

The Farmer Files said...

Maybe the antibiotics will kick in SOON. Very SOON. Get some rest. My bet is recycled air plane air, too.

MariBy said...

Oh no! I'm sorry that you're feeling so under the weather. Maybe try all the home remedies...chicken soup or maybe milkshakes or smoothies?

I hope you are feeling much better soon. :)

Tink *~*~* said...

Oh man, you poor thing! :( I think after 24 hours or so of your antibiotic, the swelling will go down and it won't hurt so much. I'm sorry, this is just so yucky for you! My advice: try to sleep through as much of the first few days as you can!

Tink *~*~*