Thursday, January 15, 2009

Watching For Whales

I have to make this quick before one of my grandsons demands the computer so he can play Mario!! So here goes.

Yesterday we all went on a 3 1/2 hour Hornblower Whale Watch looking for the Gray Whales which are migrating south right now to have their babies. The weather was perfect-sunny and warm. And the seas were very calm. No waves at all. Leaving the harbor we saw the Air Craft Carrier Nimitz getting ready to sail. There were also helicopters taking off as we went by the place where they are kept. Out in the ocean, we were told to keep an eye out for the spray of the whales when they come up to breathe and if we saw one we were to say, "Thar she blows", point, and say "at 3:00" or "at 9:00". Finally the captain saw one way out on the horizon. So off we went . By the time we got there, no whales. Then a boat behind us radioed to say that one had surfaced behind us. Of course everyone was at the front (bow) of the boat and didn't see the one at the rear (stern). After that we did see a few sprays but nothing fantastic. The problem was that the navy was on maneuvers--the Nimitz, a couple of subs, a warship etc. And their sonar really messes with the whale's hearing. If fact it is dangerous and there is a campaign to alleviate this problem. So, the whales were staying away from the ships. And us!! On the way back, we passed near a bouy where the whales tend to be attracted to. All of a sudden, a Gray Whale breached. It was close enough that we could even see the barnacles on it. Then it breached again and yet again, then turned it's tail up and dove. It was amazing. The captain said that we would have been lucky to see it breach once but 3 times was almost unheard of. He said that whales breach to see what is going on around them, especially when the sonar is messing with their hearing. I didn't get the greatest pictures of them unfortunately but it sure was neat to see. We arrived back on the dock at 1:00 and on the way home, all three kids fell asleep so we drove through In N Out Burger (yum) for takeout and to give them more chance to sleep.

Last night, I babysat while Karen, Michael and Mr. Snowbird went out to Anthology to listen to some jazz. The kids all went down great. I guess the long day at sea wore them out. I spent the evening watching American Idol. (Ok, so I'm a reality show junkie!!)

Anyway, today is another lazy day spent at home. Unfortunately, I have caught a cold so maybe I need this lazy day at home! When it warms up a bit, I guess I will go out on the patio and curl up with a book in the sun.

Ok, so the kids want the computer back now.


The Farmer Files said...

Ohhhh! I am so glad you got to see the whale breach 3x!!!

ChrisC and JonJ said...

Sounds fantastic!!!And I'm an American Idol junkie,too.

Mare said...

What an amazing experience! :)

And sending lots of 'feel better soon' wishes. Maybe another burger fix at In N Out will help with the sniffles...


Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Nice show on your whale watch! You got really lucky with all the maneuvers going on!

gail said...

I would have loved to see that! Lucky you!

Kathleen said...

I have always wanted to see whales!
You have been Tagged on my blog.
Happy Saturday

Tink *~*~* said...

That's so exciting - I wish I'd been there to see it!

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Tootie said...

Gosh, that sounds like great fun! I would love to see a whale. Hope you're both feeling better. :-) When are you coming home???