Wednesday, July 30, 2008

San Diego-Day 10 & 11

On our final day in San Diego, Karen, Sam and I headed to the USS Midway while Michael and Grandpa stayed home with the kids. We spent about 4 hours on the Midway. Karen and I had been on it before but still found it interesting. Sam loved all of the airplanes and spent what seemed like hours in the gift shop deciding what he wanted to spend his remaining money on.

From there we headed to Sunset Cliffs. These are beautiful sandstone cliffs overlooking the Pacific. We even watched some guys diving off of the cliffs. Not something I want to try anytime soon!!

Then it was home to do laundry, pack, and try to get to bed early since we had to leave for the airport at 4:45 the yesterday morning. Karen took us to the airport. Michael thought we were leaving too early but we had just enough time to check in, go through security, have breakfast and then find our gate. We only sat down for about 10 minutes before they called our flight. The first leg of our journey was long--4 hours--but uneventful. Sam was able to sleep about 2 hours which helped the trip go faster for him. We had a 2 1/2 hour layover in Atlanta before our final leg home. As we got off the plane, they were announcing, on CNN, an earthquake in LA felt in San Diego. So, of course, we called Karen. She said they didn't even feel it. She had been hoping we would have an earthquake when we were there so we could feel one. I wasn't too anxious for that and am glad we didn't have one.

I hate the Atlanta airport. It is soooo crowded. We did find a restaurant that was tucked away and not busy. We then headed to our gate where the door alarm went off. It went on and on and was terribly loud. So loud that we could hardly hear the announcements. They finally got it fixed only to go off again about 5 minutes later! Our plane out of Atlanta pulled away from the gate on time but we had to sit on the tarmac for 50 minutes because of a bad storm just to the north of us. There were three very unhappy babies on our plane which made the wait even longer. Luckily they all fell asleep once we took off. We got into Akron/Canton about 1/2 hour late. Dave and Ann picked us up and we stopped for a bite to eat on the way home to their house. We visited for awhile and Dave downloaded our pictures onto his computer so Sam would have a record of our trip and then we headed to bed--exhausted. We drove on home this morning arriving about noon.

It was a great trip. We so enjoyed spending time with all 4 of our grandsons and Sam had a ball getting re-acquainted with his cousins. Thanks Karen and Michael for all you did. And, yes, I will post some pictures--soon. OK??

PS: If you can't wait for my pictures, head to Karen's Flickr page for all of her pictures. She will tell you they haven't been photoshopped yet so aren't the greatest, but I think they are super.


The Farmer Files said...

Aahhh my dream is to have a house across from sunset cliffs. And they are bargain now, with the market the way it is, all a couple million at minimum.

gpc said...

Welcome home! I hope you and Mr. Snowbird get to sleep in for a few days! And I can't wait to see what your workers did while you were gone!

MariBy said...

Oh such a long flight home with a few delays thrown in. But you are home now, with wonderful memories of your vacation with your adorable grandkids.

Looking forward to more of your blogging in the coming days. :)

Gayle said...

Glad you made it home safely and had such a great time. Anxious to hear/see about the house!

glo said...

Sounds like a great trip out to see family. I have never heard of Sunset cliffs. All the delays stunk though.